Opportunities for Research Students
A wide range of potential research topics are available for new PhD and Masters students at the SBRC. Some example research areas and topics are listed below.
For scholarships within the SBRC please visit the scholarship page.
For details on scholarships and studying at the University of Wollongong visit information for new students.
Energy Efficiency and Decarbonization of Buildings
- Thermal energy storage using phase change materials
- Desiccant cooling technology
- Commercial building energy efficiency
- Off-grid renewable heating and cooling
- Understanding thermal comfort and energy consumption in Social Housing.
- Energy efficiency, comfort and health in low income households.
- Health and comfort implications of low energy retrofit strategies.
- Energy monitoring, energy efficiency and indoor environmental quality in buildings
- Demand management in electricity networks using renewable generation, energy storage and demand reduction enabled appliances
- Auxiliary services for grid connected renewable distributed generation and microgrids
- Solar photovoltaics performance evaluation and optimisation
Modelling and Decision Making
- Building data analytics and deep learning
- Building performance simulation
- Monitoring of building energy performance
- Internet of Things, Big Data and smart buildings
- Construction supply chain development in indigenous communities: empowerment vs dictate
- Vertical extension of buildings using cold formed steel
- Construction 4.0 – moving construction into the digital age
- The role of construction for the circular economy model
- Occupant behaviours and thermal ergonomics including physiology and sensor development
Potential research students who would like more information, such as supervisors in particular areas of research expertise, please contact us.