Based on optimized passive design principles, natural ventilation and careful equipment selection, the SBRC will be an ultra-low energy building.
SBRC will produce more energy each year than it consumes by using a number of renewable on-site generation technologies including solar, wind and a variety of storage systems.
Key performance targets
- Net zero energy. SBRC will produce more power than it consumes.
- Water exporter. SBRC will harvest and distribute water beyond its own needs.
- Natural ventilation. Natural Ventilation design with task based, passive conditioning using various methods (including ground source heating and cooling, solar walls, earth to air heat exchanger).
- Building integrated smart-grid. Integrated power grid capable of simultaneous testing of multiple renewable energy generation sources and storage systems.
- Fully integrated Green IT building management system. SBRC will be wired to measure and report on all aspects of sustainability (including workgroup power consumption, water use, printing statistics).
- Natural Waste Water System. A grey water separation and natural treatment
system will enable export of grey water to nearby buildings.
- Sustainable IT Solution. SBRC will deliver a cutting edge holistic approach to Green IT.
- Urban agriculture. Inclusion of permaculture and Australian native food gardens across the SBRC site.